Mom, Farmer, wife... Loving the life we have built. And remember keep smiling cause you can cry in the car!

Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Future of our Agriculture

I hear people talking and asking lots of questions worried about the future of our Agriculture. What will happen? Who will take over the next generation? How will these young kids ever do what I do on the farm? How will we raise enough food to feed the World in the future. Guess what I'm not worried one bit!! We have the best of the best coming up in the future of our Agriculture right here in our very own Hancock County. We have a great school system that supports our Agriculture program and I feel one of the best if not the best in the country. The teachers also run a very impressive FFA. This year two of our FFA officers are running for the Indiana State FFA office right now. They are on the final day of their three days of interviews and practicums. The interviews are to determine which candidates possess certain competencies critical to being a state officer. The other rounds will be on Ag Issues, Ag Education, a quiz, and group facilitation. I was very fortunate to photo these gals this year for their senior pictures and they rock their FFA Official dress too.


I asked our FFA Advisor if I could send them some questions about their FFA experience and also about running for State Officer.  Here are a few of the questions/answers.  I thought it was so awesome that Eastern Hancock High School had not only one candidate but two.  I was a district officer years ago in FFA (no old jokes please) and always dreamed about what these gals are actually doing. 

So here you go.. love these ladies answers and their enthusiasm towards the future of agriculture. And did I also tell you I just love these ladies!!  

What is FFA? And when did it start?
Annalee-FFA is the largest student led youth organization in the world. It's intercurricular rather than extracurricular, meaning it works with the Agriculture Education in the classroom. The main purpose is to develop personal growth, premier leadership, and career success in students. It was started in 1928 by a group of young farm boys, and at that time was known as the Future Farmers of America. However, since then the name has been changed to simply the National FFA Organization. The acronym is still there; we just don't go by it anymore. This is because we want to represent agriculture as a whole, not just farming.

What does FFA mean today?
Leah- Many see FFA only for individuals who will be farmers, but we are much more than that. In 1988, FFA changed its name from Future Farmers of America to the National FFA Organization to reflect the broader scope of our organization. FFA today is not just future farmers, but future entrepreneurs, scientists, and business people as well.

How did you get involved in the FFA?

Annalee- I got involved in FFA because it's a family tradition. My dad was an Ag teacher and FFA Advisor. My mom worked with State FFA Officers at the Indiana  FFA Center and took me there often when I was little. I always knew I would be in FFA. It was a natural decision for me. 
Leah-My Dad is our FFA advisor, so I have been around FFA for as long as I can remember.  With that being said, it was natural for me to join FFA my 7th grade year. Even though I had seen the blue corduroy jacket transform the lives of Dad’s students, I never realized how it would change my life. I dove in during 7th grade, getting involved with many different aspects of the organization. I have continued my involvement and am so thankful for everything FFA has given me.

What impact do you feel FFA has on our community and EH?

Annalee-FFA impacts our community and our school because it impacts our students. When we encourage students to go outside their comfort zones and be leaders, our community and our schools benefit the most. 
Leah-FFA has significantly impacted our community and Eastern Hancock. We are very fortunate to have a supportive community that allows Eastern Hancock’s FFA Chapter to thrive. Eastern Hancock is known for its competitive FFA chapter and I am fortunate to be a part of it.


What is the most important trait you have learned in your FFA Career?

Leah- FFA has taught many skills throughout my involvement. Hard work and diligence have both definitely been reinstated.  I have had many successes and failures, but all have reminded me the benefit of hard work and never giving up. 
Annalee- I have learned the importance of humility. FFA gives you many chances to be successful, but you can't win everything. I've learned more from the times I've lost a contest than when I won. From FFA, I've come to the understanding that my place in the world is to help others, and that's the most important thing I can do. This maybe cliche, but I've realized titles and banners are meaningless if you don't have friends at the end of the day. 


 What year were the blue and gold jackets created?
Leah/Annalee-In 1933 the blue corduroy jackets were adopted. Members from the Fredericktown, Ohio, FFA chapter were wearing similar jackets at the National FFFA convention, which inspired convention delegates to adopt this blue jacket.

Will you be continuing FFA in College?

Annalee- I could definitely see myself being in collegiate FFA, especially since I'm majoring in Ag Communications and Ag Sales and Marketing. 

Leah- I do plan on continuing my FFA involvement. I am going to Purdue and majoring in agriculture education. I hope to one day become an FFA advisor and get my own students excited about FFA. I also plan on getting involved with collegiate FFA so that I can give back to the organization.


 Good luck ladies as you finish up your last day.  I hope everyone now can rest easy cause the future of agriculutre is strong and great people are coming forward to lead us!  

FFA












No comments:

Post a Comment

Day One

Well I have done it! I have created a blog..now what do I do?? I hope to figure it all out so you can see all the great people and children I have been busy taking pictures of. I love being able to capture their memories and chapters in each one of their lives. I have especially enjoyed the babies I have gotten to do this winter. They are so precious. I hope you enjoy what I want to share!
You can also visit my website at www.thephotographybarn.com

Helpful Hints to making your photo session great!


When would be the best time for us to get our photos taken?

The best time to take outside pictures is early morning or later in the afternoon to try and avoid shadows

How long does it take to see my proofs?

I do proofs online which should cut the time for viewing to just a week. Then I will email you your link for you to share with family and friends.

What can I expect from my session?

FUN! We want to make this a wonderful experience for you!

What kind of things can I bring?

Hats, friends, pets, uniforms, musical instruments, hobbies, sunglasses, your car, letter jackets, etc. Whatever makes you unique.

What about hair, make up and glasses?

Bring glasses without frames if possible. Give a haircut or hairdo a couple of days to relax and grow out. Guys, remember to have a fresh shave. Gals, use slightly more make up, but don't overdo it.

What if it rains?

Go ahead with your indoor session as planned and we will do the outdoor session another day. Overcast days are just as good as sunny ones.